RECIPES for BREAKFAST
Apple and Oat Porridge
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ cups oat bran (not oatmeal)
- 1 large apple - peeled/cored and chopped into very small pieces
- 1/3 cup raisins
- ½ teaspoon ground caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Soy milk for serving (optional)
1. In a 2 quarts sauce pan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the oat bran and allow water to return to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low and cook for two minutes - stirring often.
3. After two minutes, turn off heat. Stir in the apple, raisins, and spices. Let stand until apple pieces soften - about 5 minutes - stirring occasionally.
4. Divide hot cereal evenly among 4 bowls. Serve with the soy milk if desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Potato and Green Onion Frittata
This recipe takes some time, but it’s a great breakfast meal for weekends on the Daniel Fast. You will need a blender or food processor; plus a baking dish.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4-5 green onions, chopped with the green and white parts separated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, shredded (or 2 cups of frozen shredded potatoes)
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. pepper, divided
- 2 lb. firm tofu
- 2-3 Tbsp. soy sauce, to taste
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and the white part of the green onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and heat for another 30 seconds.
3. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the potatoes, 1 tsp. of the salt, and 1/4 tsp. of the pepper. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping the potatoes regularly until they are well-browned.
4. Blend the remaining salt and pepper, the tofu, and soy sauce in a food processor until they are creamy.
5. Pour creamy mixture and the green part of the green onions over the fried potatoes and mix. Pour this mixture into a large, oiled pie or tart pan.
6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the center is firm. Allow the frittata to cool for 10 minutes then invert onto a serving plate.
Yield: 4 Servings
Mix all together and spread out on a non-stick cookie sheet. Bake 20 min. in a 250 degree preheated oven.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1cup crushed almonds
- ½ cup whole grain flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup wheat germ or other whole grain bran
- ¾ - 1 cup honey
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
Stir and continue to bake another 20 min., stirring periodically to prevent burning. The granola should be
lightly browned. Remove from oven and serve warm or cool thoroughly and store in tightly sealed container or plastic bags. Option: After the granola is cooled, add raisins or other organic, unsulphured dehydrated fruit.
Apple Blueberry Oatmeal Cereal
- 2 sweet apples
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ cup almonds
- 1 cup apple juice
Cook the oats as directed on box. Chop or grind the almonds, chop the apples and combine. Add the
blueberries. Top with a sprinkle of nutmeg, cinnamon and apple juice.
CHECK BACK DAILY FOR NEW RECIPES